Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Everyone Needs Noise-Cancelling Headphones

The Man (the one I'm married to, not THE MAN, the one we are supposed to stick it to) has been playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption lately. 

This is not conducive to meditation.  So I borrowed his noise-cancelling headphones and they are outrageously amazing.  I was able to listen to music for meditation without having to hear gunshots and cowboys in the background.

I started simple last night - listening to the Adagio (2nd movement) of Beethoven's Emperor Concerto, which is one of my most favorite, most calming, most wonderful pieces of music to listen to.  And I just laid there on the floor, Savasana, opened up my chest, and asked for grace and calm.  I felt this wonderful sense of warmth, of love, and I drifted away in it.  I think I slept for a few minutes, because I woke up and thought "oops!  That wasn't meditation, that was sleeping!" but it was very energizing, and I felt wonderful.  I wanted to stay up all night, but alas, The Corporation loomed.

So, I think meditation-wise I've made a good start.  I wish yoga places around here focused on the meditative breathing aspects of yoga, and not just of stretching and holding poses for fitness.  I get that the Hatha branch of yoga prepares our body for the mental exertions that come with the more spiritual/meditative branches of yoga, but I wish that America wasn't so exclusively focused on fitness, when there is so much more to be had.  Fitness is great, don't get me wrong, but so many of us drive relentlessly toward fitness and beauty of the body and completely ignore the spirit and the mind.

Not me.