Monday, July 19, 2010

Why the Grammar Ninja?

Welcome.

It's Monday morning at The Corporation.  (I do enrollment books for group retirement plans.)  While going through this morning's orders, I noticed that many times, a person will be excluded if they "wish to contribute less than $200 annually."

Recently, rebel that I am, I've taken to changing the "less" to "fewer," and a little part of the universe seems to right itself.

I don't feel like I can call myself a grammar "Nazi" because around here, I'm stealthy about making corrections.  I just go ahead and make them.  They're correct. And out there in the world, some other grammar ninja who receives my book and sees "fewer than $200" will think: ah, a kindred spirit.

At least, that's the idea. And the reason behind the title.

The "rule" regarding less vs. fewer, for those who care.

Aside from that, the blog will probably have little to do with grammar.  But the site name was available, and I like the idea of being a ninja.


So there it is.  I'm back.